OT: War on Christmas/Easter
Barnabas Collins
2006-04-16 17:24:32 UTC
Now that it is Easter, I would point out there is no war
on Christmas or Easter like Faux news would have you believe.

If you're Christian you have every right to celebrate
Christmas/Easter in your own house, in your own
place of worship. What you don't have the right to
do shove your religion down my throat every time
I leave my house. Oh and I don't want my
tax money being used to provide decorations
for your holiday. That means I don't want
to pay lots of money in taxes that will
be used to put a Christian display
up at town hall.

Oh and don't complain about having to work
on Good Friday. Locally the town hall
was open on Friday, the employees had to
work. Maybe you should have thought of that
when you bitched and moaned about me taking
my religious holiday off.

Of course I noticed how many of the ten
commandments are broken routinely.

Thou shalt not kill: i've never seen a
clause in there allowing an exception for
a war in Iraq/for convicted killers/etc.
Last time I looked it just said
thou shalt not kill. Oh and lets add in the
27,000-53,000 who died taking Vioxx.

Thou shalt not steal: I didn't see anything
in there about it being wrong for an employee
to steal $60,000 in merchandise but it OK for
the employer to steal a $60,000 pension.

Larry
2006-04-18 21:46:49 UTC
Post by Barnabas Collins
[...]
America is a Christian Based Culture. Our government doesn't force
people to worship within the Christian religion but America was founded
upon Christian Principles and Celebrates Christian Traditions.

If you don't like it. Tough. Leave!
Barnabas Collins
2006-04-19 14:10:49 UTC
Post by Larry
America is a Christian Based Culture. Our government doesn't force
people to worship within the Christian religion but America was founded
upon Christian Principles and Celebrates Christian Traditions.
If you don't like it. Tough. Leave!
Wow that is a really progressive attitude towards freedom of religion
in the United States which was founded on the idea of freedom.

Let me guess.....your parents would beat the living cr*p out of you
if you even thought about joining another religion.

Theoneflasehaddock
2006-04-19 16:46:20 UTC
Post by Barnabas Collins
Post by Larry
America is a Christian Based Culture. Our government doesn't force
people to worship within the Christian religion but America was founded
upon Christian Principles and Celebrates Christian Traditions.
If you don't like it. Tough. Leave!
Wow that is a really progressive attitude towards freedom of religion
in the United States which was founded on the idea of freedom.
Let me guess.....your parents would beat the living cr*p out of you
if you even thought about joining another religion.
It's a typical right wing attitude today, unfortunately, stemming
mainly from being unable to understand what a Democracy is.

Funny, isn't it, how they shout out how great Democracy is, how great
it is they are bringing democracy to Iraq, and then say "if you didn't
vote the way we did, you shouldn't be talking, and shouldn't be here at
all".

theoneflasehaddock
Larry
We are not a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Representative Republic.
NightMist
2006-04-20 15:32:35 UTC
Post by Barnabas Collins
Post by Larry
[...]
Which is why our shrub in chief is trying to bring democracy to other
countries.

I hate politics.

NightMist
The wolf that understands fire has much to eat.
Nevermore
2006-04-20 16:15:58 UTC
Post by Larry
We are not a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Representative
Republic.
To call a constitutional representative republic such as our "not a
democracy" is to render the word meaningless. Name one democracy then...

Nevermore (An Army of One)
j***@bellsouth.net
2006-04-20 23:53:16 UTC
Post by Nevermore
Post by Larry
We are not a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Representative Republic.
To call a constitutional representative republic such as our "not a
democracy" is to render the word meaningless. Name one democracy then...
The Greek City States?

Oh wait, that was more than one, Sorry.
Nevermore (An Army of One)
Larry
2006-04-19 17:35:01 UTC
Post by Barnabas Collins
Post by Larry
America is a Christian Based Culture. Our government doesn't force
people to worship within the Christian religion but America was founded
upon Christian Principles and Celebrates Christian Traditions.
If you don't like it. Tough. Leave!
Wow that is a really progressive attitude towards freedom of religion
in the United States which was founded on the idea of freedom.
Our Country allows people to follow any religion they want or no
religion for that matter.

But, as a society the United States was founded on Christian principles
and celebrates Christian traditions.

You don't have have to celebrate Christian traditions, but stop trying
to prevent the rest of our society from doing so.
Larry

Nevermore
2006-04-20 16:13:43 UTC
Newsgroups: alt.religion.wicca
Subject: Re: OT: War on Christmas/Easter
Date: 19 Apr 2006 11:56:53 -0700
Post by Barnabas Collins
Post by Larry
America is a Christian Based Culture. Our government doesn't force
people to worship within the Christian religion but America was
founded upon Christian Principles and Celebrates Christian
Traditions. If you don't like it. Tough. Leave!
Wow that is a really progressive attitude towards freedom of religion
in the United States which was founded on the idea of freedom.
Our Country allows people to follow any religion they want or no
religion for that matter.
But, as a society the United States was founded on Christian
principles and celebrates Christian traditions.
What Christian traditions? You mean like "Christmas"??? - a holiday
hardly anybody had even heard of in 1776 which nobody bothered to
"celebrate" in this country until Charles Dickens popularized it with a
little story called "A Christmas Carol" that he wrote in England decades
later in the year 1835? Is THAT the kind of "tradition" you are now
trying to impute to our Founding Fathers, you historical revisionist,
you?

How about Thanksgiving? You want to try and claim any of your ancestors
ever cooked a cranberry before about 1920???
You don't have have to celebrate Christian traditions, but stop trying
to prevent the rest of our society from doing so.
Stop making up ancient history based on Charlie Brown TV specials.

Nevermore
Barnabas Collins
2006-04-20 17:19:52 UTC
Post by Nevermore
Post by Larry
But, as a society the United States was founded on Christian
principles and celebrates Christian traditions.
What Christian traditions? You mean like "Christmas"??? - a holiday
hardly anybody had even heard of in 1776 which nobody bothered to
"celebrate" in this country until Charles Dickens popularized it with a
little story called "A Christmas Carol" that he wrote in England decades
later in the year 1835? Is THAT the kind of "tradition" you are now
trying to impute to our Founding Fathers, you historical revisionist,
you?
You mean christian traditions like screw your neighbor, have adultery
with his wife, steal his pension, let his wife/kids starve and
not get health care while the good christian CEO gets paid $450
million dollars to maange an oil company making record prorfits
while reneging on an agreement to pay for damages from Exxon Valdez
oil spill?

You mean Christian traditions like Abortion is wrong,
but there is nothing wrong with letting kids starve to
death, die when they don't get medical care.

You mean the Christian tradition that you arent a good
Christian unless you go out and buy your family a $5,000
plasma TV for christmas?

You mean the Christian tradition that says you should slam
homosexuals but ignore the problems of the poor even though
it says about 1100 times in the bible to help the poor and
the underpriveldged and mentions Homosexuality about four times?

Christians need to stop bitching and moaning that they are
oppressed because when they walk into Wal-mart they
greeter says Happy Holiday instead of Merry Christmas.
There are bigger problems on the planet than the greeter at
Wal-mart.

Come back us and complain about this after war is ended,
hunger is banished, people in this world get medical treatment,
etc.

/rant off

Nevermore
2006-04-20 16:08:49 UTC
Post by Larry
America is a Christian Based Culture. Our government doesn't force
people to worship within the Christian religion but America was
founded upon Christian Principles and Celebrates Christian Traditions.
If you don't like it. Tough. Leave!
Then please explain this treaty the United States government wrote and
signed with Tripoli in 1797:

    "As the government of the United States of America is not in any
sense founded on the Christian Religion - as it has in itself no
character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquility of
Musselmen, - and as the said States never have entered into any war or
act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is
declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions
shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the
two countries."

THAT'S right straight out of the mouths of our Founding Fathers, you
Xtian faker...

Nevermore
Barnabas Collins
2006-04-20 17:23:09 UTC
Post by Larry
America is a Christian Based Culture. Our government doesn't force
people to worship within the Christian religion but America was
founded upon Christian Principles and Celebrates Christian Traditions.
Well maybe the native americans who were here first should determine
what religion this country has.

Here is a clue what they would choose: if you go to a native american
pow wow it sounds an awful lot like Wicca.....

Jani
2006-04-20 18:34:51 UTC
Post by Barnabas Collins
Post by Larry
America is a Christian Based Culture. Our government doesn't force
people to worship within the Christian religion but America was
founded upon Christian Principles and Celebrates Christian Traditions.
Well maybe the native americans who were here first should determine
what religion this country has.
Here is a clue what they would choose: if you go to a native american
pow wow it sounds an awful lot like Wicca.....
So which NA tribe practices Goddess worship in the context of an initiatory,
lineaged mystery religion, incorporating witchcraft and a sexual Great Rite
as a central element?

Now, if you'd said that newage culture-vulturism looks remarkably like some
NA practices, you'd have been nearer the mark.

Jani
k'd
2006-04-23 03:12:36 UTC
Post by Larry
America is a Christian Based Culture. Our government doesn't force
people to worship within the Christian religion but America was founded
upon Christian Principles and Celebrates Christian Traditions.
If you don't like it. Tough. Leave!
Is that what they teach you in Sunday school these days? Quite accurately,
the US was founded on a principal of the freedom *from* religious
persecution. Many of the founding fathers were in fact of a Diest
persuasion. You might want to look that up, but in any case, why are you
reading and posting to a wiccan news group? (just curious about your
intent)
--
Tarot, Poetry, and News
at The MegaZine http://www.mega.bz
Larry
2006-04-18 23:24:15 UTC
Post by Barnabas Collins
Of course I noticed how many of the ten
commandments are broken routinely.
Thou shalt not kill: i've never seen a
clause in there allowing an exception for
a war in Iraq/for convicted killers/etc.
Last time I looked it just said
thou shalt not kill.
The 10 Commandments were not written in English. So it never said "thou
shalt not kill". The language of the Ten Commandments says "Lo
Tirtzach," "Do not Murder," not "Lo Taharog," "Do Not
Kill."

I guess you were misinformed about that Commandment.
Barnabas Collins
2006-04-19 14:13:15 UTC
Post by Larry
The 10 Commandments were not written in English. So it never said "thou
shalt not kill". The language of the Ten Commandments says "Lo
Tirtzach," "Do not Murder," not "Lo Taharog," "Do Not
Kill."
I guess you were misinformed about that Commandment.
http://www.positiveatheism.org/crt/whichcom.htm

6, 5, 6

Theoneflasehaddock
2006-04-19 16:42:47 UTC
Post by Larry
Post by Barnabas Collins
Of course I noticed how many of the ten
commandments are broken routinely.
Thou shalt not kill: i've never seen a
clause in there allowing an exception for
a war in Iraq/for convicted killers/etc.
Last time I looked it just said
thou shalt not kill.
The 10 Commandments were not written in English. So it never said "thou
shalt not kill". The language of the Ten Commandments says "Lo
Tirtzach," "Do not Murder," not "Lo Taharog," "Do Not
Kill."
I guess you were misinformed about that Commandment.
Typical imperialist attitude.

It's not really wrong if you claim you're killing for some stupid
cause.

You're a disgrace to your pathetic religion, which you obviously only
apply when you feel like it.

theoneflasehaddock
Larry
2006-04-19 17:37:37 UTC
Post by Larry
Post by Barnabas Collins
[...]

It was very clear about that. The passage was mistranslated (perhaps on
purpose).
ouroboros rex
What's the difference?
SODDI the Obeah Man
2006-04-19 18:33:35 UTC
Post by Larry
Post by Barnabas Collins
[...]
If you kill other people because someone LEGALLY OR SPIRITUALLY SUPERIOR to
you wants you to, that's killing and it's OK.

If you kill other people because YOU want to, that's murder and it's BAD.
Barnabas Collins
2006-04-19 19:50:18 UTC
[Cross posting removed, since the origianl was only posted to
one group.]
Post by SODDI the Obeah Man
If you kill other people because someone LEGALLY OR SPIRITUALLY SUPERIOR to
you wants you to, that's killing and it's OK.
Some would argue God only has the right to take a life.
ouroboros rex
2006-04-19 20:05:22 UTC
Post by SODDI the Obeah Man
Post by Larry
Post by Barnabas Collins
[...]
See, the idea was to get christian abbettor larry to say that. But
NOOOOOOO.
just john
2006-04-19 18:34:54 UTC
Post by ouroboros rex
Post by Larry
It never said "thou shalt not kill". The language of the Ten
Commandments says "Lo Tirtzach," "Do not Murder," not "Lo Taharog," "Do
Not Kill."
What's the difference?
It ain't "murder" if the Government does it or pays for it. Kind of like the
difference between a pirate and a privateer.
* Radio Free Entropy: http://just-john.com/cn/rfe.shtml *
Barnabas Collins
2006-04-19 19:53:02 UTC
[Cross posting removed.]

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:34:54 -0400, just john
Post by just john
It ain't "murder" if the Government does it or pays for it. Kind of like the
difference between a pirate and a privateer.
Capital punishment is state sanctioned murder.

You're just as dead whether it is the state that kills you
or it is Jeffrey Dahmer.

scooter
2006-04-19 19:54:37 UTC
God told me to skin you alive
-Jello Biafra
just john
2006-04-19 20:01:02 UTC
Post by scooter
God told me to skin you alive
-Jello Biafra
God seems to thrive on that sort of prank.

"Yeah! Go kick his ass! You could totally take him!"
Barnabas Collins
2006-04-20 17:25:13 UTC
On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 19:54:37 GMT, "scooter"
Post by scooter
God told me to skin you alive
-Jello Biafra
Wasn't that what the guys at Duke University
told the stripper they proceeded to rape?

ouroboros rex
NOOOOOOO.
just john
2006-04-19 20:19:39 UTC
Post by ouroboros rex
Post by just john
Post by ouroboros rex
Post by Larry
It never said "thou shalt not kill". The language of the Ten
Commandments says "Lo Tirtzach," "Do not Murder," not "Lo Taharog," "Do
Not Kill."
What's the difference?
It ain't "murder" if the Government does it or pays for it. Kind of like
the difference between a pirate and a privateer.
See, the idea was to get christian abbettor larry to say that. But
NOOOOOOO.
Have you heard of the new miracle product called email?
* Radio Free Entropy: http://just-john.com/cn/rfe.shtml *
ouroboros rex
2006-04-19 21:18:32 UTC
Post by just john
Post by ouroboros rex
Post by just john
Post by ouroboros rex
Post by Larry
It never said "thou shalt not kill". The language of the Ten
Commandments says "Lo Tirtzach," "Do not Murder," not "Lo Taharog," "Do
Not Kill."
What's the difference?
It ain't "murder" if the Government does it or pays for it. Kind of like
the difference between a pirate and a privateer.
See, the idea was to get christian abbettor larry to say that. But
NOOOOOOO.
Have you heard of the new miracle product called email?
Yeah, but the induced-humiliation factor at the punchline just isn't
there.
Barnabas Collins
2006-04-19 19:48:12 UTC
On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 13:24:43 -0500, "ouroboros rex"
Post by ouroboros rex
Post by Larry
Post by Larry
It never said "thou shalt not kill". The language of the Ten
Commandments says "Lo Tirtzach," "Do not Murder," not "Lo Taharog," "Do
Not Kill."
What's the difference?
Murder, kill, what is the difference. You're just as dead.

And some would call capital punishment killing, state sanctioned
murder. The bottom line: you're just as dead.

And whether the ten commandments say kill or murder it still says
not to kill or murder.

tzarkaztyk
2006-04-21 01:52:04 UTC
in ancient Anglo-Saxon law, and in many other old European cultures (Nordic,
Swede, Dane, German, etc) murder and killing were separated. A killing was
something done during the day, not hidden (though maybe not bragged about)
and generally done from the front. A murder was a killing committed at night
and/or hidden or in some other way done shamefully. Killings were typically
punished by some form of were-guild (money paid to relatives of the killed)
while murder was punished by outlawry (banishment from the community for a
specified time) or outright execution or sacrifice.
What's the difference?
Tron
2006-04-21 16:07:54 UTC
Post by tzarkaztyk
in ancient Anglo-Saxon law, and in many other old European cultures
(Nordic, Swede, Dane, German, etc) murder and killing were separated. A
killing was something done during the day, not hidden (though maybe not
bragged about) and generally done from the front.
And "called", i.e. announced at e.g. the next farm, within 24 hours.
Usually there had to be justification (offense, revenge etc.).

Post by tzarkaztyk
and/or hidden or in some other way done shamefully. Killings were
typically punished by some form of were-guild (money paid to relatives of
the killed) while murder was punished by outlawry (banishment from the
community for a specified time)
Being declared utleg (outlaw) meant that anyone could kill you without
punishment,
your goods was forfeit, your marriage annulled (after utleg you had to
remarry), and no man could share food, shelter or fire with you. That is why
outlaws usually went into exile.
Post by tzarkaztyk
or outright execution
... dubious .... there was no "executive", if you pardon the pun. No
police.
Killing a wrongdoer was left to the offended clan.
Post by tzarkaztyk
...or sacrifice.
Only for violating the peace of the Ting and Hov.

What's the difference?
s***@yahoo.com
2006-04-19 19:07:27 UTC
Post by Larry
The 10 Commandments were not written in English. So it never said "thou
shalt not kill". The language of the Ten Commandments says "Lo
Tirtzach," "Do not Murder," not "Lo Taharog," "Do Not
Kill."
Yeah because we all know those damned Israelites slaughtered every man,
woman, & child of some other tribes. (Look it up; it's called
genocide.)
Post by Theoneflasehaddock
You're a disgrace to your pathetic religion, which you obviously only
apply when you feel like it.
All those middle eastern cults (Xianity, Jewism, & Islam) suck!
What does the Xian get for his sex-hating do-gooderism? Eternity on his
knees flattering a meglomaniac god.
Now Valhalla! That's a heaven I can get into!

Sam
unknown
2006-04-19 19:33:44 UTC
Post by Larry
The 10 Commandments were not written in English. So it never said "thou
shalt not kill". The language of the Ten Commandments says "Lo
Tirtzach," "Do not Murder," not "Lo Taharog," "Do Not
Kill."
Yeah because we all know those damned Israelites slaughtered every man,
woman, & child of some other tribes. (Look it up; it's called
genocide.)
Post by Theoneflasehaddock
You're a disgrace to your pathetic religion, which you obviously only
apply when you feel like it.
All those middle eastern cults (Xianity, Jewism, & Islam) suck!
What does the Xian get for his sex-hating do-gooderism? Eternity on his
knees flattering a meglomaniac god.
Now Valhalla! That's a heaven I can get into!
Sam
One word: Sex Goddesses

http://subgenius.com/
--
Zapanaz
International Satanic Conspiracy
civilization You. I Bach the Now.
Heidi Graw
2006-04-19 20:37:51 UTC
(snip)
Post by s***@yahoo.com
Now Valhalla! That's a heaven I can get into!
Sam
Asgard has numerous halls to which the dead can go. Valhalla is the place
where only valiant and superior warriors end up. These warriors spend their
days slaughtering each other. The warriors end up maimed, cut up and
otherwise injured. Then in the evening they are made whole again and are
served their meals by the Valkyries. The life of a Valhallian consists of
endless fighting during the day and non-stop partying and feasting at night.
I don't think many men actually qualify to get into Valhalla. Plus, I can't
imagine many of them wanting to actually get there.

Might I suggest Folkvang? This is a place where people gather and Freya
acts the hostess. People party, tell stories, sing songs, tell jokes,
chatter about this that and the other thing. Folkvang doesn't require you
spend every day practising your warrior skills. No need to injure others,
nor receive injuries yourself. In Folkvang, you could be the life of the
party. ;-)

For myself, I'd actually like to visit Glitnir and have a chat with Forseti.
We could argue civil laws and wrangle over issues of what is fair and not
fair.

Some of the ladies might prefer Alfheim...Freyr's home. It's a fairyland.
Plus...you've heard the rumours about Freyr, haven't you? LOL.... ;-)

Ah well...read the Eddas, in particular "Grimnir's Sayings." There you will
learn of all the places that exist in Asgard....a heathen's heaven. There
are lots of things to do, see and get involved in. It's considerably far
more interesting in that kind of heaven than the heaven offered to the
Christians.

I might even take a walk over to visit Sigyn. That poor woman has been
keeping a watch over Loki to protect him from the poison of his
imprisonment. I don't think anyone has bothered to volunteer to relieve her
for a spell. She could do with a respite. Then I'd take that opportunity
to tie into Loki! Sheez. That god had caused so much trouble with all his
trickery...by the time I'm through with him, he'll be begging the gods to
take me away from that place. LOL... ;-)

Heidi
Tron
2006-04-19 23:13:57 UTC
Post by s***@yahoo.com
Now Valhalla! That's a heaven I can get into!
You in the army, then?
Plan to go down fighting?