Why the Bible Forbids Paganism
Sound of Trumpet
2007-09-08 14:13:34 UTC
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-religion/1891640/posts

Why the Bible Forbids Paganism

Beliefnet ^ | 9/05/'07 | David Klingjoffer

Posted on 09/05/2007 1:43:28 PM PDT by Zionist Conspirator

Wicca and similar groups are flourishing in America. They're also
violating the biblical commandment against idolatry.

My kids' favorite baby-sitter assures me that she's not a practicing
witch, "though," she says, "I do hang out with a lot of Wiccans."
There was the time, for instance, out on the Kitsap Peninsula, near
Seattle, when she joined a group of witches for a "sky-clad" (that is,
naked) romp in the woods, a May Day ritual. Having tossed off their
clothes, the pagans ran around a maypole chanting in Gaelic. "The pole
is a phallic symbol," thirty-two-year-old Jenny helpfully explains.
"They're white witches, not bad ones. I never really asked them about
it. I just know."

"I think she takes it all with a grain of salt," my wife later assures
me. Yet the next day Jenny, responding to my curiosity, brings over a
stack of books from her collection. The well-thumbed volumes smell
like incense and one is stained with a dark liquid. They have titles
like "Embracing the Moon: A Witches' Guide to Ritual Spellcraft and
Shadow Work," and "The Witch's Familiar: Spiritual Partnerships for
Successful Magic." A thick and serious-looking book is called "The
Great Cosmic Mother: Rediscovering the Religion of the Earth."

Jenny is far from alone. One fine Sunday, I was an observer at a
Wiccan worship circle in a public park in Tacoma, Washington. The
setting was sylvan and beautiful, overlooking Puget Sound toward Gig
Harbor. The water sparkled and the incense wafted.

About 35 people showed up, from teenagers to the middle-aged, plus a
couple of senior citizens. They could have been any church group out
for a weekend picnic-well, maybe any liberal church group.

They stood around a rock in the center of their circle. Placed beside
the rock were corn-husk dolls, flowers, a glass of beer, and some
wheat stalks--for it was the sabbat or festival (from the Hebrew for
Sabbath) of Lammas, which celebrates the first harvest and the death
and rebirth of the god of grain. A man who wore a Scottish kilt led a
group recital of John Burns's "John Barleycorn: A Ballad," while
others in the group were fitted out in homemade robes of blue or red.
A teenage girl passed out wheat stalks and paper cups of apple juice.
Then they all turned to the north, east, south, and west to bless the
spirits of the four directions and four elements, fire, water, earth,
and air. They concluded by calling out, "May the gods preserve the
Craft, and may the Craft preserve the gods!" This was followed by
hoots of "Yeah!" "Yay!""Yoo hoo!" and then the pagans dispersed.

***

Modern witches, worshipers of a dualistic pantheon comprising a god
and a goddess, say that in just the past few years they have discerned
a genuine pagan revival, or what my neighbor Jeremy Allen, a self-
described "Druid archpriest," called "the Awakening of the Ancients."
Says Jeremy, who goes by the alternative name Gannandelff Boulder, "A
lot of likeminded people have been drawn to the religions and lately
we always seem to find each other. It's happening all over the
country--in Canada, even."

The New York Times, quoting the American Religious Identification
Survey, put the number of Wiccans nationally at 134,000 in 2001.
That's up from only eight thousand in 1990. J. Gordon Melton, who
directs the Institute for the Study of American Religion in Santa
Barbara, calls Wicca, and paganism generally, the country's fastest
growing religion.

***

The Bible would take a dim view of these developments. The Pentateuch
advises that witches be stoned to death: "You shall not permit a witch
to live" (Exodus 22:17)-though pagans nowadays claim, improbably, that
the Hebrew word m'chashefah doesn't really mean witch at all, but
"poisoner," as if Moses would have been perfectly okay with offering
incense and wheat stalks to John Barleycorn. In fact, two verses
later, this misconception is laid to rest: "One who brings offerings
to the gods shall be destroyed-only to the Lord alone!" In the
sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, at witch trials and witch
burnings across Europe, and at Salem, Massachusetts, these biblical
verses were eagerly enforced.

The scriptural injunction against witchcraft is rooted in the second
commandment, which begins: "You shall not recognize the gods of others
in My presence." This much is familiar to everyone. But the second
commandment goes on to say, "You shall not make yourself a carved
image nor any likeness of that which is in the heavens above or on the
earth below or in the water beneath the earth. You shall not prostrate
yourself to them nor worship them for I am the Lord your God-a jealous
God, Who visits the sin of fathers upon children to the third and
fourth generations, for My enemies; but who shows kindness for
thousands [of generations] to those who love Me and observe My
commandments."

What this language makes clear is that idolatry, polytheism, and
witchcraft are really just three manifestations of the same error-to
which, interestingly, Hebrew gives no name. They share the mistaken
assumption that divinity can be broken down into discrete entities
(gods) and manipulated for our benefit. By contrast, the God of the
Bible, a purely spiritual being, must be the ultimate unity and
perfectly free to act as He sees fit, unaffected by our attempted
manipulations or any other circumstances.

Polytheism and witchcraft, in other words, are associated with
physical representations of divinity, since both have to do with
putting the god to work for you, and we are accustomed to using
objects for our own purposes (penicillin, an umbrella, and an air
conditioner would he non-magical examples). Where you find polytheism
and magic, you are likely to find idols. That's how Moses, returning
from his forty days on Mount Sinai, where he received the Ten
Commandments, knew at the very moment he caught sight of the Golden
Calf that the Jews who had made it in his absence had plummeted to the
spiritual depths. God had given him the two tablets for the same
purpose that a groom gives his bride a ring at their wedding, as a
token of their union, Moses quickly perceived that the Jews had
severed the union, so the tablets lost their sanctity, which is why he
smashed them to pieces on the ground.

The word jealous, which the Bible uses in speaking of God only when
the context is idolatry, sums it all up. Where there is no
possessiveness, there is no love. What wife would be pleased if her
husband could never he moved to jealousy, no matter how forwardly she
might flirt with other men? God doesn't actually feel jealous anger-
being perfect and unchanging, He is above being moved by human
actions, but He does act in response to polytheistic provocations in a
way that reminds us of the spouse consumed with passionate
possessiveness. This is the one sin for which God has no tolerance
whatsoever. Fortunately for our babysitter Jenny, who still works for
us, I'm not God. In fact, when we had twin boys recently, the rabbi
who performed the circumcision gave my wife a kabbalistic printed
amulet, a laminated card with Hebrew verses and formulas, to hang over
their crib for protection from evil. It included the above-cited verse
from Exodus, "you shall not permit a witch to live." Sometimes I'll be
sitting with my wife and Jenny in the babies' room, the amulet
dangling above as Jenny helps feed a twin, and I'll think, "hmm..."

Feel free to question the consistency of my parenting. But the truth
about "idolatry" is that it's far more widespread than many of us
recognize. The phrase referring to other "gods," or in Hebrew
"elohim," whom we're commanded not to recognize alongside God, is
really a mistranslation. The classical medieval commentator Rashi
explains that "elohim" really refers much more broadly to any other
sources of moral authority apart from God.

In this sense, in a secularized culture like ours, disregard for the
second commandment is hardly limited to "neo-pagans." It's represented
prominently in all the most influential cultural venues, led by the
university and the media. In such an environment, to find a sitter --
not to mention a spouse, a friend, an employer, a co-worker -- who
abides by the decalogue's prohibition of idolatry is a challenge, to
say the least.
*Anarcissie*
2007-09-08 14:52:40 UTC
You may wonder why this has been posted to
_your_ newsgroup, since it has little or nothing to
do with atheism, anarchism, science fiction, or
Judaism. Maybe further complaints to Google
about spam should be made, not that they've
done any good so far.
Seamus
2007-09-08 16:40:52 UTC
Post by *Anarcissie*
You may wonder why this has been posted to
_your_ newsgroup, since it has little or nothing to
do with atheism, anarchism, science fiction, or
Judaism. Maybe further complaints to Google
about spam should be made, not that they've
done any good so far.
Complaints made to Google? Um, it's Usenet. Usenet is mostly
unmoderated. Has been for some time, long before Google obtained
DejaNews.

Bitch and moan all you want. Cross-posters are forever, sadly.
Bert Hyman
2007-09-08 18:05:59 UTC
Post by Seamus
Complaints made to Google? Um, it's Usenet. Usenet is mostly
unmoderated. Has been for some time, long before Google obtained
DejaNews.
Bitch and moan all you want. Cross-posters are forever, sadly.
Real ISPs and news providers usually have rules and "terms of service"
that forbid that sort of behavior; maybe Google has some too.

Of course, Google only pretends to be a news provider and generally
ignores complaints of any sort, which is why some news server
administrators are flirting with the idea of no longer carrying posts
originating from Google's servers.
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN ***@iphouse.com
_ Prof. Jonez _
2007-09-08 18:30:08 UTC
Post by Bert Hyman
Post by Seamus
Complaints made to Google? Um, it's Usenet. Usenet is mostly
unmoderated. Has been for some time, long before Google obtained
DejaNews.
Bitch and moan all you want. Cross-posters are forever, sadly.
Real ISPs and news providers usually have rules and "terms of service"
that forbid that sort of behavior; maybe Google has some too.
You mean terms of censorship.

So who's forcing you to read usenet articles, eh Burnt?
Post by Bert Hyman
Of course, Google only pretends to be a news provider and generally
ignores complaints of any sort, which is why some news server
administrators are flirting with the idea of no longer carrying posts
originating from Google's servers.
Flirt away, Burnt ... and may you and those other flirtatious admins
can start your own restricted and moderated usenet hierarchy, one that
doesn't allow any x-posting. That way when your big brother Buster
comes into your room and forces you to read postings on usenet, you
won't be reading posts you disagree with, either in form or content.

Any questions, jackass?
Bill Snyder
2007-09-08 20:59:09 UTC
On Sat, 8 Sep 2007 12:30:08 -0600, "_ Prof. Jonez _"
Post by _ Prof. Jonez _
Post by Bert Hyman
Of course, Google only pretends to be a news provider and generally
ignores complaints of any sort, which is why some news server
administrators are flirting with the idea of no longer carrying posts
originating from Google's servers.
Flirt away, Burnt ... and may you and those other flirtatious admins
can start your own restricted and moderated usenet hierarchy, one that
doesn't allow any x-posting. That way when your big brother Buster
comes into your room and forces you to read postings on usenet, you
won't be reading posts you disagree with, either in form or content.
Any questions, jackass?
I have one. Were you born a pissant, or did you have to work at it?
Bill Snyder [This space unintentionally left blank.]
Bert Hyman
2007-09-08 21:58:18 UTC
Post by _ Prof. Jonez _
Post by Bert Hyman
Of course, Google only pretends to be a news provider and generally
ignores complaints of any sort, which is why some news server
administrators are flirting with the idea of no longer carrying
posts originating from Google's servers.
Any questions, jackass?
I have one. Were you born a pissant, or did you have to work at it?
Geez.

Is that loser ->still following me around?
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN ***@iphouse.com
William December Starr
2007-09-10 02:06:28 UTC
Post by _ Prof. Jonez _
Post by Bert Hyman
Of course, Google only pretends to be a news provider and
generally ignores complaints of any sort, which is why some news
server administrators are flirting with the idea of no longer
carrying posts originating from Google's servers.
Flirt away, Burnt ... and may you and those other flirtatious
admins can start your own restricted and moderated usenet
hierarchy, one that doesn't allow any x-posting. That way when
your big brother Buster comes into your room and forces you to
read postings on usenet, you won't be reading posts you disagree
with, either in form or content.
Any questions, jackass?
I don't know which of the cross-posted newsgroups you're native to,
but I certainly do feel sorry for everyone else there.
William December Starr <***@panix.com>
Joseph Littleshoes
2007-09-10 02:29:38 UTC
Post by William December Starr
Post by _ Prof. Jonez _
Post by Bert Hyman
Of course, Google only pretends to be a news provider and
generally ignores complaints of any sort, which is why some news
server administrators are flirting with the idea of no longer
carrying posts originating from Google's servers.
Flirt away, Burnt ... and may you and those other flirtatious
admins can start your own restricted and moderated usenet
hierarchy, one that doesn't allow any x-posting. That way when
your big brother Buster comes into your room and forces you to
read postings on usenet, you won't be reading posts you disagree
with, either in form or content.
*chuckle*
Post by William December Starr
Post by _ Prof. Jonez _
Any questions, jackass?
Of course one can simply not read the name of certain posts but once, it
amazes me how many people proudly boast of an inability to deploy mail
filers in such a way as the simply ugly (de gustibus non est
disputandum) don't exist to be seen, more than once.

I filtered Projectile Vomit Chick" after only 1 or 2 examples, her
announced style was only too accurate.

And of course no matter what the foreign language posts are in i just
filter as i cant read them anyway, those chinese merchants are certainly
persistent though.
Post by William December Starr
I don't know which of the cross-posted newsgroups you're native to,
but I certainly do feel sorry for everyone else there.
Oy?
JL
Joseph Littleshoes

JL
Seamus
2007-09-08 18:36:05 UTC
Post by Bert Hyman
Real ISPs and news providers usually have rules and "terms of service"
that forbid that sort of behavior; maybe Google has some too.
You've miraculously missed the point of Usenet.
Post by Bert Hyman
Of course, Google only pretends to be a news provider and generally
ignores complaints of any sort, which is why some news server
administrators are flirting with the idea of no longer carrying posts
originating from Google's servers.
Err, no. Google acquired DejaNews, which was a web-based NNTP
interface. This happens to be what I am using to post this reply.

I do use Xnews with my ISP-provided NNTP server, but sometimes Google
is just more convenient.

Usenet is NOT under censorship rules. (save certain individual groups
that are privately moderated).

Welcome to the Internet.
Bert Hyman
2007-09-08 18:45:29 UTC
Post by Seamus
Usenet is NOT under censorship rules.
Wanna bet?

Take a look at newsgroups "control.cancel" and "news.lists.filters"
sometime, and visit http://www.exit109.com/~jeremy/news/cleanfeed/.

TINC.
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN ***@iphouse.com
Seamus
2007-09-08 19:02:16 UTC
Post by Bert Hyman
Take a look at newsgroups "control.cancel" and "news.lists.filters"
sometime, and visithttp://www.exit109.com/~jeremy/news/cleanfeed/.
Oh yes, very effective, aren't they?

I hate to tell you this, but compare the amount of censorship those
groups instate to the amount of whining and yammering across Usenet to
have such-and-such deleted/banned.

For all intents and purposes, censorship on Usenet is a farce. Which
is as it should be.

People can have whatever conversations they wish, and jackasses like
Sound of Trumpet are perfectly free to prove unequivocally that they
are in fact jackasses.

One learns to take the good with the bad.
Bert Hyman
2007-09-08 19:04:43 UTC
Post by Seamus
Post by Bert Hyman
Take a look at newsgroups "control.cancel" and "news.lists.filters"
sometime, and visithttp://www.exit109.com/~jeremy/news/cleanfeed/.
Oh yes, very effective, aren't they?
At the sites where they're used? Absolutely.
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN ***@iphouse.com
Seamus
2007-09-08 19:06:26 UTC
Post by Bert Hyman
Post by Seamus
Oh yes, very effective, aren't they?
At the sites where they're used? Absolutely.
But the vast majority doesn't bother. Therefore, the point is somewhat
diminished.
Bert Hyman
2007-09-08 19:25:17 UTC
Post by Seamus
Post by Bert Hyman
Post by Seamus
Oh yes, very effective, aren't they?
At the sites where they're used? Absolutely.
But the vast majority doesn't bother.
How many news providers have you checked? The features were created and
are maintained because there's a market for them.
Post by Seamus
Therefore, the point is somewhat diminished.
There are a handful of spamer-friendly NSPs out there who don't respond
to requests to reign in their rogue customers. Some are intentionally in
the business of catering to spammers and vandals. If you're using a news
provider that doesn't filter, then you're simply seeing their output.

My own NSP provides a good level of filtering, and I can handle the rest
with scoring in my news reader.

The server I run at work is screwed down as tightly as I'm able.
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN ***@iphouse.com
_ Prof. Jonez _
2007-09-08 18:26:20 UTC
Post by Seamus
Post by *Anarcissie*
You may wonder why this has been posted to
_your_ newsgroup, since it has little or nothing to
do with atheism, anarchism, science fiction, or
Judaism. Maybe further complaints to Google
about spam should be made, not that they've
done any good so far.
Complaints made to Google? Um, it's Usenet. Usenet is mostly
unmoderated. Has been for some time, long before Google obtained
DejaNews.
Bitch and moan all you want. Cross-posters are forever, sadly.
Funny then that the Founding Fathers of USENET, the ones that
designed and engineered the NNTP, specifically ALLOWED for
x-posting then, isn't it ?
Seamus
2007-09-08 18:31:01 UTC
Precisely my point. My use of the word 'sadly' was a slight jab.
Bert Hyman
2007-09-08 18:40:01 UTC
Post by Seamus
Post by _ Prof. Jonez _
Funny then that the Founding Fathers of USENET, the ones that
designed and engineered the NNTP, specifically ALLOWED for
x-posting then, isn't it ?
Precisely my point. My use of the word 'sadly' was a slight jab.
Cross-posting has legitimate uses, and for technical reasons is much
preferred over the alternative, which is to post the identical text to
each target newsgroup individually.
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN ***@iphouse.com
Seamus
2007-09-08 18:45:31 UTC
Post by Bert Hyman
Cross-posting has legitimate uses, and for technical reasons is much
preferred over the alternative, which is to post the identical text to
each target newsgroup individually.
But as you can see, spammers have used it to annoy non-related groups.
THis has happened for years. Even long before DejaNews existed.
Bert Hyman
2007-09-08 18:50:51 UTC
Post by Seamus
Post by Bert Hyman
Cross-posting has legitimate uses, and for technical reasons is much
preferred over the alternative, which is to post the identical text
to each target newsgroup individually.
But as you can see, spammers have used it to annoy non-related groups.
And people using capable newsreaders find it trivial to avoid the
annoyance if they choose to. Administrators of individual news servers
can eliminate the problem for all their users, if they have a mind to.
Post by Seamus
THis has happened for years. Even long before DejaNews existed.
Jerks will be with us always.
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN ***@iphouse.com
Seamus
2007-09-08 18:57:11 UTC
Post by Bert Hyman
And people using capable newsreaders find it trivial to avoid the
annoyance if they choose to. Administrators of individual news servers
can eliminate the problem for all their users, if they have a mind to.
Administrators of individual news servers? Perhaps, but most don't
bother with Usenet. The general consensus is "Don't like it? Don't
read it", and rightly so.

People who bitch about cross-posting and scream for censorship on
Usenet are blatantly missing the point o Usenet.

That was the point that I was getting at.
Post by Bert Hyman
Jerks will be with us always.
QFT.
Peter Trei
2007-09-09 03:16:33 UTC
Post by _ Prof. Jonez _
Post by Seamus
Post by *Anarcissie*
You may wonder why this has been posted to
_your_ newsgroup, since it has little or nothing to
do with atheism, anarchism, science fiction, or
Judaism. Maybe further complaints to Google
about spam should be made, not that they've
done any good so far.
Complaints made to Google? Um, it's Usenet. Usenet is mostly
unmoderated. Has been for some time, long before Google obtained
DejaNews.
Bitch and moan all you want. Cross-posters are forever, sadly.
Funny then that the Founding Fathers of USENET, the ones that
designed and engineered the NNTP, specifically ALLOWED for
x-posting then, isn't it ?
If it bothers you, set your killfile to delete any messages
with commas in the Newsgroups: line.

Don't know how? Your news reader can't do that? Don't
make your ignorance and incompetance a reason to limit the
freedom of others.

Peter Trei
*Anarcissie*
2007-09-13 13:49:09 UTC
Post by Seamus
Post by *Anarcissie*
You may wonder why this has been posted to
_your_ newsgroup, since it has little or nothing to
do with atheism, anarchism, science fiction, or
Judaism. Maybe further complaints to Google
about spam should be made, not that they've
done any good so far.
Complaints made to Google? Um, it's Usenet. Usenet is mostly
unmoderated. Has been for some time, long before Google obtained
DejaNews.
Bitch and moan all you want. Cross-posters are forever, sadly.
SoT is posting _from_ Google. It is possible for
people running a news server to discourage spam.
Al Klein
2007-09-13 15:02:29 UTC
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 06:49:09 -0700, *Anarcissie*
Post by *Anarcissie*
Post by Seamus
Post by *Anarcissie*
You may wonder why this has been posted to
_your_ newsgroup, since it has little or nothing to
do with atheism, anarchism, science fiction, or
Judaism. Maybe further complaints to Google
about spam should be made, not that they've
done any good so far.
Complaints made to Google? Um, it's Usenet. Usenet is mostly
unmoderated. Has been for some time, long before Google obtained
DejaNews.
Bitch and moan all you want. Cross-posters are forever, sadly.
SoT is posting _from_ Google. It is possible for
people running a news server to discourage spam.
Unless the provider is Google. They only care about quantity, not
quality.
--
Al at Webdingers dot com
"I see only with deep regret that God punishes so many of His children for their
- A. Einstein (Letter to Edgar Meyer, Jan. 2, 1915)
Reargunner
2007-09-08 15:09:26 UTC
Post by Sound of Trumpet
My kids' favorite baby-sitter assures me that she's not a practicing
witch, "though," she says, "I do hang out with a lot of Wiccans.
Well the bible is quite clear

Exo 22:18

(ASV) Thou shalt not suffer a sorceress to live.

(CEV) Death is the punishment for witchcraft.

(ISV)

(JPS) (22:17) Thou shalt not suffer a sorceress to live.

(KJV) Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.

(NIV) "Do not allow a sorceress to live.

(RV) Thou shalt not suffer a sorceress to live.
Free Lunch
Neither Wicca nor paganism are sorcery.
Michael Gray
Potters and ceramics makers are sorcerers, though.
Alexandra Ceelie
2007-09-08 17:31:01 UTC
Post by Reargunner
Post by Sound of Trumpet
My kids' favorite baby-sitter assures me that she's not a practicing
witch, "though," she says, "I do hang out with a lot of Wiccans.
Well the bible is quite clear
Exo 22:18
(ASV) Thou shalt not suffer a sorceress to live.
(CEV) Death is the punishment for witchcraft.
(ISV)
(JPS) (22:17) Thou shalt not suffer a sorceress to live.
(KJV) Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.
(NIV) "Do not allow a sorceress to live.
(RV) Thou shalt not suffer a sorceress to live.
What about the part that says, "Thou shalt not kill" ?

While it may be "clear" on one page... the others tell an entirely
different story. Stupid book has more contradictions than it has
translations.

=^..^=
Xandra
Seamus
2007-09-08 17:58:22 UTC
Post by Alexandra Ceelie
What about the part that says, "Thou shalt not kill" ?
While it may be "clear" on one page... the others tell an entirely
different story. Stupid book has more contradictions than it has
translations.
=^..^=
Xandra
I wonder why SofT included rec.arts.sf.written in his cross-post?
That's completely off-topic, unless he's in with the "D&D is EEEVIL!"
crowd.
Al Klein
2007-09-08 22:24:51 UTC
Post by Seamus
Post by Alexandra Ceelie
What about the part that says, "Thou shalt not kill" ?
While it may be "clear" on one page... the others tell an entirely
different story. Stupid book has more contradictions than it has
translations.
=^..^=
Xandra
I wonder why SofT included rec.arts.sf.written in his cross-post?
That's completely off-topic
Fantasy comes under the general SF heading, and the Bible is pure
fantasy.
satyr
2007-09-08 22:04:56 UTC
On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 13:31:01 -0400, Alexandra Ceelie
Post by Alexandra Ceelie
Post by Reargunner
Post by Sound of Trumpet
My kids' favorite baby-sitter assures me that she's not a practicing
witch, "though," she says, "I do hang out with a lot of Wiccans.
Well the bible is quite clear
Exo 22:18
(ASV) Thou shalt not suffer a sorceress to live.
(CEV) Death is the punishment for witchcraft.
(ISV)
(JPS) (22:17) Thou shalt not suffer a sorceress to live.
(KJV) Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.
(NIV) "Do not allow a sorceress to live.
(RV) Thou shalt not suffer a sorceress to live.
What about the part that says, "Thou shalt not kill" ?
While it may be "clear" on one page... the others tell an entirely
different story. Stupid book has more contradictions than it has
translations.
Or authors.
--
satyr #1953
Chairman, EAC Church Taxation Subcommittee
Supervisor, EAC Fossil Casting Lab
faeseeker
2007-09-13 11:33:00 UTC
Post by Alexandra Ceelie
Post by Reargunner
Post by Sound of Trumpet
My kids' favorite baby-sitter assures me that she's not a practicing
witch, "though," she says, "I do hang out with a lot of Wiccans.
Well the bible is quite clear
Exo 22:18
(ASV) Thou shalt not suffer a sorceress to live.
(CEV) Death is the punishment for witchcraft.
(ISV)
(JPS) (22:17) Thou shalt not suffer a sorceress to live.
(KJV) Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.
(NIV) "Do not allow a sorceress to live.
(RV) Thou shalt not suffer a sorceress to live.
What about the part that says, "Thou shalt not kill" ?
While it may be "clear" on one page... the others tell an entirely
different story. Stupid book has more contradictions than it has
translations.
Or authors.
Hiya Satyr! Long time no see! How's stuff 'n such? ;)

kate
satyr
2007-09-17 23:43:41 UTC
Post by Alexandra Ceelie
Post by Reargunner
Post by Sound of Trumpet
[...]
You may have me confused with another satyr. I only post to
alt.atheism, but I have danced Skyclad around the fire at Samhain.

Pleased to meet you anyway.

satyr
faeseeker
2007-09-29 13:26:51 UTC
Post by satyr
Post by Alexandra Ceelie
Post by Reargunner
Post by Sound of Trumpet
[...]
Hrm....okaaay...but You sure sound like him...
Post by satyr
Pleased to meet you anyway.
Oh no, MY pleasure to meet you! :)

kate~
Post by satyr
satyr
Robibnikoff
2007-09-08 17:55:09 UTC
Post by Reargunner
Post by Sound of Trumpet
My kids' favorite baby-sitter assures me that she's not a practicing
witch, "though," she says, "I do hang out with a lot of Wiccans.
Well the bible is quite clear
Exo 22:18
(ASV) Thou shalt not suffer a sorceress to live.
(CEV) Death is the punishment for witchcraft.
(ISV)
(JPS) (22:17) Thou shalt not suffer a sorceress to live.
(KJV) Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.
(NIV) "Do not allow a sorceress to live.
(RV) Thou shalt not suffer a sorceress to live.
Try it.
--
Robyn
Resident Witchypoo
satyr
2007-09-17 23:46:27 UTC
On Sat, 8 Sep 2007 13:55:09 -0400, "Robibnikoff"
Post by Robibnikoff
Post by Reargunner
Post by Sound of Trumpet
My kids' favorite baby-sitter assures me that she's not a practicing
witch, "though," she says, "I do hang out with a lot of Wiccans.
Well the bible is quite clear
Exo 22:18
(ASV) Thou shalt not suffer a sorceress to live.
(CEV) Death is the punishment for witchcraft.
(ISV)
(JPS) (22:17) Thou shalt not suffer a sorceress to live.
(KJV) Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.
(NIV) "Do not allow a sorceress to live.
(RV) Thou shalt not suffer a sorceress to live.
Try it.
I've tried to slay sorceresses by stabbing them repeatedly with my pet
dragon, but they seem to like it.
faeseeker
2007-09-29 13:24:37 UTC
Post by Robibnikoff
Post by Reargunner
Post by Sound of Trumpet
My kids' favorite baby-sitter assures me that she's not a practicing
witch, "though," she says, "I do hang out with a lot of Wiccans.
Well the bible is quite clear
Exo 22:18
(ASV) Thou shalt not suffer a sorceress to live.
(CEV) Death is the punishment for witchcraft.
(ISV)
(JPS) (22:17) Thou shalt not suffer a sorceress to live.
(KJV) Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.
(NIV) "Do not allow a sorceress to live.
(RV) Thou shalt not suffer a sorceress to live.
Try it.
I've tried to slay sorceresses by stabbing them repeatedly with my pet
dragon, but they seem to like it.
Satyr! You never told me about this dragon of yours ;)
May I become a member of the Gideon Bible Alternative Fuel Project?
*LOL*

katie~
655321
2007-09-08 18:08:02 UTC
Post by Reargunner
Well the bible is quite clear
No... it's not clear on anything.
--
655321
"We are heroes in error" -- Ahmad Chalabi
Michael Gray
2007-09-10 10:58:23 UTC
On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 18:08:02 GMT, 655321
Post by 655321
Post by Reargunner
Well the bible is quite clear
No... it's not clear on anything.
I beg to differ:
It is transparent bullshit.
Jon Schild
2007-09-08 16:16:51 UTC
Religions often forbid the competition. So what?
Savageduck
2007-09-09 01:10:18 UTC
Post by Jon Schild
Post by Sound of Trumpet
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-religion/1891640/posts
Why the Bible Forbids Paganism
Religions often forbid the competition. So what?
Well, at least the cargo cultists have something tangible to work with.
The bible gave them nothing.
Though at times they have felt abandoned when their benefactors flew off
into the sunset.
Some still wait for the return of those WWII C47s which never come now
their islands hold no tactical interest.
Al Klein
2007-09-09 05:04:28 UTC
Post by Savageduck
Well, at least the cargo cultists have something tangible to work with.
The bible gave them nothing.
Though at times they have felt abandoned when their benefactors flew off
into the sunset.
Some still wait for the return of those WWII C47s which never come now
their islands hold no tactical interest.
But I'll bet the grandkids of the people who lived there in WWII, the
current adult cultists, have some weird tales about the 12 foot tall
gods flying off by flapping their arms, etc. It doesn't take myths
many generations to go off into never-never land.
Savageduck
2007-09-09 05:46:27 UTC
Post by Al Klein
Post by Savageduck
Well, at least the cargo cultists have something tangible to work with.
The bible gave them nothing.
Though at times they have felt abandoned when their benefactors flew off
into the sunset.
Some still wait for the return of those WWII C47s which never come now
their islands hold no tactical interest.
But I'll bet the grandkids of the people who lived there in WWII, the
current adult cultists, have some weird tales about the 12 foot tall
gods flying off by flapping their arms, etc. It doesn't take myths
many generations to go off into never-never land.
The objects of worship and reverence, especially in places such as Tanna
Island & Vanuata are wooden carved symbolic aircraft and some fashioned
from wire coat hangers. Many of them held the American servicemen who
flew and serviced these transport planes to be gods.

Here is a little Wpedia info extract:

HISTORY

"Discussions of cargo cults usually begin with a series of movements
that occurred in the late nineteenth century and early twentieth
century. The earliest recorded cargo cult was the Tuka Movement that
began in Fiji in 1885. Cargo cults occurred periodically in many parts
of the island of New Guinea, including the Taro Cult in Northern Papua
New Guinea, and the Vailala Madness that arose in 1919 and was
documented by F.E. Williams, one of the first anthropologists to conduct
fieldwork in Papua New Guinea. Less dramatic cargo cults have appeared
in western New Guinea as well, including the Asmat and Dani areas.
The classic period of cargo cult activity, however, was in the years
during and after World War II. The vast amounts of war matériel that
were airdropped into these islands during the Pacific campaign against
the Empire of Japan necessarily meant drastic changes to the lifestyle
of the islanders, many of whom had never seen Westerners or Japanese
before. Manufactured clothing, medicine, canned food, tents, weapons and
other useful goods arrived in vast quantities to equip soldiers — and
also the islanders who were their guides and hosts. With the end of the
war the airbases were abandoned, and "cargo" was no longer being dropped.
In attempts to get cargo to fall by parachute or land in planes or ships
again, islanders imitated the same practices they had seen the soldiers,
sailors and airmen use. They carved headphones from wood, and wore them
while sitting in fabricated control towers. They waved the landing
signals while standing on the runways. They lit signal fires and torches
to light up runways and lighthouses. The cultists thought that the
foreigners had some special connection to their own ancestors, who were
the only beings powerful enough to produce such riches.
In a form of sympathetic magic, many built life-size mockups of
airplanes out of straw, and created new military style landing strips,
hoping to attract more airplanes. Ultimately, though these practices did
not bring about the return of the god-like airplanes that brought such
marvelous cargo during the war, they did have the effect of eradicating
the religious practices that had existed prior to the war.
Over the last seventy-five years most cargo cults have petered out. Yet,
the John Frum cult is still active on the island of Tanna, Vanuatu. And
from time to time, the term "cargo cult" is invoked as an English
language idiom, to mean any group of people who imitate the superficial
exterior of a process or system without having any understanding of the
underlying substance.
The term is perhaps best known because of a speech by physicist Richard
Feynman at a Caltech commencement, wherein he referred to "cargo cult
science", and which became a chapter in the book "Surely You're Joking,
Mr. Feynman!." In the speech, Feynman pointed out that cargo cultists
create all the appearance of an airport right down to headsets with
bamboo "antennas", yet the airplanes don't come. Feynman argued that
some researchers often produce studies with all the trappings of real
science, but which are nonetheless pseudoscience and unworthy of either
respect or support."

JUST GIVE MAN SOME FOCUS AND HE WILL DEVELOP A RELIGION.
Al Klein
2007-09-09 23:27:44 UTC
The Church of the Holy Magnifying Glass.
Savageduck
2007-09-10 01:42:45 UTC
I've always liked "The Church of the Gooey Death."
Michael Gray
2007-09-10 10:59:30 UTC
The Lord of the Flies!
Al Klein
2007-09-10 14:14:37 UTC
[Default] On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 20:29:30 +0930, Michael Gray
Craig?
Sanity's Little Helper
2007-09-08 15:38:34 UTC
Post by Sound of Trumpet
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-religion/1891640/posts
Why the Bible Forbids Paganism
Beliefnet ^ | 9/05/'07 | David Klingjoffer
Posted on 09/05/2007 1:43:28 PM PDT by Zionist Conspirator
Wicca and similar groups are flourishing in America. They're also
violating the biblical commandment against idolatry.
As much as this?:

David Silverman C.B.E.
aa #2208
Lord Mayor of Awphucket

Not authentic without this signature.
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/proselytising/
ren
2007-09-08 16:27:36 UTC
Wise mothers forbid their young children to look upon your god-
forsaken hideous face for fear of emotionally scaring them for life.
Seamus
2007-09-08 16:47:01 UTC
On Sep 8, 10:13 am, Sound of Trumpet <***@mailcan.com>
wrote:
<SNIIIIIiiiipp!>

Look everyone! It's Sound Of Trumpet again, here to stuff his
ideological cock down our throats!

Apparently, his memory is bad. The last few times he's tried this,
he's been bitchslapped around Usenet so hard I'm sure his Avatar lost
more than a few teeth.

Seems he's trying to lose his whole jaw this time around.

Can't you just see him sitting at his computer, masturbating
furiously, muttering, "I'm gonna git those heathens! Jesus Jesus
Jesus! Lord Lord Lord! Imma gunna GIT THOSE HEATHENS!" all the while
his parents are looking upon him, shaking their heads sadly, and
whispering to eachother about how they've failed.
T Guy
2007-09-08 17:00:26 UTC
Post by Sound of Trumpet
Why the Bible Forbids Paganism
(T Guy):

If only Usenet would forbid spam.
Post by Sound of Trumpet
Beliefnet ^ | 9/05/'07 | David Klingjoffer
Posted on 09/05/2007 1:43:28 PM PDT by Zionist Conspirator
(T Guy):

SofT is re-posting - presumably without permission - something
credited to 'Zionist Conspiritor'... is he now trying to make us think
that all loony Christers are in league with The International Zionist
Conspiracy? Or have I missed some layer of complexity out?
Post by Sound of Trumpet
Wicca and similar groups are flourishing in America. They're also
violating the biblical commandment against idolatry.
(T Guy):

Bet you hoards of Christians violate commandments in the Koran all the
time.

Let me raise that. I bet you hoards of Christians violate biblical
commandments from time to time as well.
Post by Sound of Trumpet
My kids' favorite baby-sitter assures me that she's not a practicing
witch, "though," she says, "I do hang out with a lot of Wiccans."
(T Guy):

If only SofT were not a practicing spammer.

I am not a practicing Architect, though I do hang out with a lot of
designers.

I am not a practicing Christian, though I have been known to hang out
with them.

Get the point?

No? Then it's on your head...

T Guy
655321
2007-09-08 18:06:53 UTC
Post by Sound of Trumpet
Why the Bible Forbids Paganism
It's called trying to shut out competition in the market of cults.

No lengthy article necessary.
Howard Brazee
2007-09-08 18:39:53 UTC
On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 18:06:53 GMT, 655321
Post by 655321
Post by Sound of Trumpet
Why the Bible Forbids Paganism
It's called trying to shut out competition in the market of cults.
No lengthy article necessary.
The Bible talks about other gods - it just doesn't want them competing
with Jehovah.
Howard Brazee
2007-09-10 23:25:06 UTC
Post by Howard Brazee
The Bible talks about other gods - it just doesn't want them competing
with Jehovah.
How many gods are powerful enough and confident enough to accept
competition?
Avenger
2007-09-11 02:01:35 UTC
Post by Howard Brazee
Post by Howard Brazee
The Bible talks about other gods - it just doesn't want them competing
with Jehovah.
How many gods are powerful enough and confident enough to accept
competition?
It's all mumbo jumbo and is based on power,control and greed. The more
advanced Greeks and Romans used to refer to the gods but it didn't have the
same meaning to them. The various gods were just the forces of nature or
someone higher than the average human or an exulted person.

It was probably the Romans who made Jesus a god due to his high status. This
misconception that he was GOD has been passed down to this day.
Rich Corinthian Leather
2007-09-08 18:41:07 UTC
Post by Sound of Trumpet
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-religion/1891640/posts
Why the Bible Forbids Paganism
Beliefnet ^ | 9/05/'07 | David Klingjoffer
Posted on 09/05/2007 1:43:28 PM PDT by Zionist Conspirator
Wicca and similar groups are flourishing in America. They're also
violating the biblical commandment against idolatry.
No one here cares what the bible says about Wicca. Pagans haven't caused
any close to the levels of destruction (all sorts) that Christianity and
monotheism have!

RCL
Seamus
2007-09-08 18:50:43 UTC
On Sep 8, 2:41 pm, Rich Corinthian Leather
Post by Rich Corinthian Leather
Post by Sound of Trumpet
Wicca and similar groups are flourishing in America. They're also
violating the biblical commandment against idolatry.
(My response to sound of Trumpet): So do quite a lot of Christian
denominations.
Post by Rich Corinthian Leather
No one here cares what the bible says about Wicca. Pagans haven't caused
any close to the levels of destruction (all sorts) that Christianity and
monotheism have!
Monotheism. Remember the whole Aten fiasco in Egypt?

Yeah, that didn't go over too well.
Michael Gray
I don't think that any of us here are quite that old.
Walter Bushell
2007-09-10 17:23:12 UTC
Simple, they want to eliminate the competition.
raven1
2007-09-08 19:14:39 UTC
Post by Sound of Trumpet
Why the Bible Forbids Paganism
The Bible also forbids mixing meat and dairy, or wearing blended
fabrics. Unless one is an observant Jew, why should anyone give a fuck?
Baird Stafford
2007-09-08 20:23:06 UTC
In article <***@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
Sound of Trumpet <***@mailcan.com> wrote:

<snip>
Post by Sound of Trumpet
Wicca and similar groups are flourishing in America. They're also
violating the biblical commandment against idolatry.
How odd. I don't have a single idol in my house, nor have I ever seen
one at a public ritual. Are you sure you don't mean that Catholics and
other sects who use the Crucifix are violating the Biblical commandment
against idolatry?

<rese of ignorant rant snipped>

Baird
satyr
2007-09-08 22:10:49 UTC
Why the Bible Forbids Paganism?

The same reason Tony "Nine Iron" Marzulo kindly suggests that you use
the garbage hauler he happens to represent.
Seon Ferguson
2007-09-09 00:07:02 UTC
Post by Sound of Trumpet
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-religion/1891640/posts
Why the Bible Forbids Paganism
Who cares what the Bible thinks? If we took our morals from the Bible we
would have to kill anyone who works on the sabbith I mean come on.
brique
2007-09-09 00:24:02 UTC
Post by Seon Ferguson
Post by Sound of Trumpet
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-religion/1891640/posts
Why the Bible Forbids Paganism
Who cares what the Bible thinks? If we took our morals from the Bible we
would have to kill anyone who works on the sabbith I mean come on.
That would mean killing all the christians too..... they worship on the
wrong sabbath... so the literalist bible christian would have to kill
themselves..... heavy shit, man....
Walter Bushell
2007-09-09 15:34:27 UTC
Post by brique
That would mean killing all the christians too..... they worship on the
wrong sabbath... so the literalist bible christian would have to kill
themselves..... heavy shit, man....
It could only be an improvement and lead to decreased real estate prices
making housing more affordable, which is good.
Savageduck
2007-09-09 01:16:54 UTC
Post by Seon Ferguson
Post by Sound of Trumpet
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-religion/1891640/posts
Why the Bible Forbids Paganism
Who cares what the Bible thinks? If we took our morals from the Bible we
would have to kill anyone who works on the sabbith I mean come on.
What an image. Death and carnage on the golf courses, various pro-sports
stadia, NASCAR events, Walmart and others too numerous to name, all from
Friday night through Sunday.
I wonder who would hold the broadcast rights???
Seon Ferguson
2007-09-09 04:07:23 UTC
Post by Savageduck
Post by Seon Ferguson
Post by Sound of Trumpet
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-religion/1891640/posts
Why the Bible Forbids Paganism
Who cares what the Bible thinks? If we took our morals from the Bible we
would have to kill anyone who works on the sabbith I mean come on.
What an image. Death and carnage on the golf courses, various pro-sports
stadia, NASCAR events, Walmart and others too numerous to name, all from
Friday night through Sunday.
I wonder who would hold the broadcast rights???
Whats sad is if the religious right did that the world would probally be a
better place.
Next on the agenda the Muslim extremists.
Al Klein
2007-09-09 05:02:12 UTC
Post by Seon Ferguson
Post by Sound of Trumpet
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-religion/1891640/posts
Why the Bible Forbids Paganism
Who cares what the Bible thinks? If we took our morals from the Bible we
would have to kill anyone who works on the sabbith
That would mean almost all Christians, since "Sabbath" is the Hebrew
name of the day we call "Saturday".
Luke
So?
Jack Tingle
2007-09-09 17:49:38 UTC
On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 09:39:14 +0100, "Luke"
Post by Sound of Trumpet
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-religion/1891640/posts
Why the Bible Forbids Paganism
[snip]
Post by Sound of Trumpet
Wicca and similar groups are flourishing in America. They're also
violating the biblical commandment against idolatry.
So?
What's a little sad is that the author and SoT can't quite figure out
why the title (and the key sentence above) is laugh-provoking. A pagan
not being at all interesed in a Christian prohibition causes them
great mental distress and a severe feeling of cognitive dissonance.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Julius
say the least.
Gene Ward Smith
2007-09-09 12:36:39 UTC
There weren't any rabbis back then.
Joseph Littleshoes
2007-09-09 17:51:04 UTC
Post by Sound of Trumpet
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-religion/1891640/posts
Why the Bible Forbids Paganism
Beliefnet ^ | 9/05/'07 | David Klingjoffer
Posted on 09/05/2007 1:43:28 PM PDT by Zionist Conspirator
Wicca and similar groups are flourishing in America. They're also
violating the biblical commandment against idolatry.
[editing antique, superstitious propaganda]
Post by Sound of Trumpet
This is the one sin for which God has no tolerance whatsoever.
DE LIBERTATE MENTIS

There shall be no Property in Human Thought. Let each think as he will
concerning the Universe; but let none seek to impose that Thought upon
another by any Threat of Penalty in this World or any other World. I
charge thee therefore that thou permit none to tyrannize any other in
Thought, or to threaten, or in any other Wise to blaspheme the great
Liberty of our Father the Sun in the Great Cosmos, or of His Viceregent
in the Little.

DE LIBERTATE CORPORIS

There shall be no Property in Human Flesh. Every Man and every Woman
hath Right Indefeasable to give the Body for the Enjoyment of any other.
The Exercise of this Right shall not be punished either by Law or by
Custom; there shall be no Penalty either by Loss or Curtailment of
Liberty, of Rights, of Wealth, or of Social Esteem; but this Freedom
shall be respected of all, seeing that it is the Right of the Bodily
Will. For this same Reason thou shalt cause full Restriction and
Punishment of any who may seek to limit that Freedom for the sake of his
own Profit, or Desire, or Ideal. Every Man and every Woman has full
right either to grant or to deny the Body, as the Will speaketh within.
This being made Custom, the Evils of Love, which are many, extending to
the Disturbance not only of Body but of Mind, and that in obscure Paths,
shall little by little disappear from the Face of His unspeakable Glory.

JL
Seamus
2007-09-09 18:30:17 UTC
Post by Sound of Trumpet
[...]
Damn, that couldn't possibly put it more succinctly, methinks. Very
nicely done, Joseph.
Joseph Littleshoes
2007-09-09 21:46:19 UTC
Post by Sound of Trumpet
[...]
It is a quotation, selectively edited, from Crowley's Liber Aleph, The
Book of Wisdom or Folly.

http://www.hermetic.com/crowley/aleph/index.html

Specifically chapters 34 & 35.

I meant to add quotation marks to the original post and just forgot to
do so.
JL
Rosen The Putz
2007-09-10 01:01:17 UTC
Post by Joseph Littleshoes
Post by Sound of Trumpet
This is the one sin for which God has no tolerance whatsoever.
That's the jew god "Yawahboobie" he's referring to. This guy is a real jew
bastard with an inferiority complex and gets pissed off at the slightest
provocation. Fuck your dead brother's widow? Punishment-stoned to death. Eat
an Oyster? You're unclean for a year. Accidently see your drunk father
naked? You and your descendants get turned into Negroes for eternity. Jerk
off? Banished to the desert till you're clean. Not a virgin on your wedding
night? Punishment-your stain free sheets are hung in the town square so
everyone knows you're a Ho lol
JL
Rosen The Chosen
2007-09-10 01:12:58 UTC

that he is a putz.
j***@bellsouth.net
2007-09-10 02:24:39 UTC
Post by Rosen The Putz
Post by Joseph Littleshoes
Post by Sound of Trumpet
This is the one sin for which God has no tolerance whatsoever.
That's the jew god "Yawahboobie" he's referring to. This guy is a real jew
bastard with an inferiority complex and gets pissed off at the slightest
provocation. Fuck your dead brother's widow? Punishment-stoned to death.
Actually, that one's a requirement.
(unless you pull out before you come; That's what's forbidden)

Eat
JL
p***@hotmail.com
2007-09-10 00:00:58 UTC
Post by Sound of Trumpet
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-religion/1891640/posts
Why the Bible Forbids Paganism
Fuck the Christian Bible with a ten foot crowbar. This ridiculous
collection of Bronze Age stories has caused our civilization more
damage than any other book in the course of history. It has started
wars, inspired atrocities, and divided families. It has caused
generations of humans to stand in fear of the unknown rather than
challenge it. It is a blight upon the Western World, and one of the
great enemies of humanity.

And to top it all off, the mother-fucking piece of shit isn't even
true:

http://tinyurl.com/2vhs39
http://tinyurl.com/2kg43d
http://tinyurl.com/3ay5hm
http://tinyurl.com/2wskdr
http://home.earthlink.net/~pgwhacker/ChristianOrigins/
http://mama.indstate.edu/users/nizrael/jesusrefutation.html
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/dp5/christian.htm
http://www.jesuspuzzle.com/
http://tinyurl.com/24anmt

In the name of everyone who's been killed or injured by your insipid
book of blood, death, and slavery, I shit on your precious "Bible".
Shove it up your ass until you hit your teeth, you pig-ignorant
bastard.

-Panama Floyd, Atlanta.
aa#2015/KoBAAWA!
Davej
2007-09-10 17:57:37 UTC
Post by Sound of Trumpet
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-religion/1891640/posts
[...]
Wicca and similar groups are flourishing in America. They're also
violating the biblical commandment against idolatry.
[...]
I find it depressing that religious foolishness in one form or another
keeps flourishing. Maybe it should be taxed.
n***@snet.net
2007-09-30 16:10:30 UTC
Post by Sound of Trumpet
Why the Bible Forbids Paganism
Because Christians can't stand competition, especially when that
competition is a much better class of people.
faeseeker
2007-10-02 10:38:12 UTC
Competition....*pffthaahaaaahaaaaaaaaaaa* good one! ;)
Michael Gray
Abandonment of superstition *IS* competition.
faeseeker
2007-10-02 14:22:40 UTC
Post by Michael Gray
Post by faeseeker
Post by n***@snet.net
Post by Sound of Trumpet
Why the Bible Forbids Paganism
Because Christians can't stand competition, especially when that
competition is a much better class of people.
Competition....*pffthaahaaaahaaaaaaaaaaa* good one! ;)
Abandonment of superstition *IS* competition.
Suspending disbelief is competition. Without a belief in something greater
than themselves, some ppl would be totally lost.
Michael Gray
2007-10-03 01:54:51 UTC
Post by faeseeker
Post by Michael Gray
Post by faeseeker
Post by n***@snet.net
Post by Sound of Trumpet
Why the Bible Forbids Paganism
Because Christians can't stand competition, especially when that
competition is a much better class of people.
Competition....*pffthaahaaaahaaaaaaaaaaa* good one! ;)
Abandonment of superstition *IS* competition.
Suspending disbelief is competition. Without a belief in something greater
than themselves, some ppl would be totally lost.
And that is who's problem?
If that is the case, they should grow up, and face reality squarely.
faeseeker
2007-10-18 06:46:43 UTC
Post by Michael Gray
Post by faeseeker
Post by Michael Gray
Post by faeseeker
Post by n***@snet.net
Post by Sound of Trumpet
Why the Bible Forbids Paganism
Because Christians can't stand competition, especially when that
competition is a much better class of people.
Competition....*pffthaahaaaahaaaaaaaaaaa* good one! ;)
Abandonment of superstition *IS* competition.
Suspending disbelief is competition. Without a belief in something greater
than themselves, some ppl would be totally lost.
And that is who's problem?
If that is the case, they should grow up, and face reality squarely.
You from alt.atheism? Some ppl do have some type of religion yanno. They
like it that way. I wasn't commenting on my own beliefs here. Nothing of the
kind in fact.
Growing up, amongst most ppl, doesn't mean giving up your religion.
I figure that if Pagans want to be respected, they should respect others of
different types also *shrug*
Michael Gray
different types also *shrug*
Michael Gray
2007-10-18 07:32:55 UTC
Post by faeseeker
Post by Michael Gray
Post by faeseeker
Post by Michael Gray
Post by faeseeker
Post by n***@snet.net
Post by Sound of Trumpet
Why the Bible Forbids Paganism
Because Christians can't stand competition, especially when that
competition is a much better class of people.
Competition....*pffthaahaaaahaaaaaaaaaaa* good one! ;)
Abandonment of superstition *IS* competition.
Suspending disbelief is competition. Without a belief in something greater
than themselves, some ppl would be totally lost.
And that is who's problem?
If that is the case, they should grow up, and face reality squarely.
You from alt.atheism? Some ppl do have some type of religion yanno. They
Most people have a bodily parasite infection as well, you know.
Post by faeseeker
like it that way. I wasn't commenting on my own beliefs here. Nothing of the
kind in fact.
Glad to hear that you are atheist.
Post by faeseeker
Growing up, amongst most ppl, doesn't mean giving up your religion.
Oh yes it DOES!
Growing up entails abandoning belief in Santa Clause, the Tooth Fairy,
and all manner of invented sky pixies, including innumerable gods.
One cannot call themselves 'grown up' until they have abandoned all of
these childishly superstitious ideas.

Any other view is not logical.
If you have to abandon Santa in order to grow up, you have to abandon
every other invented feel-good deity.
As well as those who lack mental parasites?
faeseeker
2007-10-18 07:45:07 UTC
Hey Mike! Yah fired a blank the first time! *whahaha* more below..
Post by Michael Gray
Post by faeseeker
Post by Michael Gray
Post by faeseeker
Post by Michael Gray
Post by faeseeker
Post by n***@snet.net
Post by Sound of Trumpet
Why the Bible Forbids Paganism
Because Christians can't stand competition, especially when that
competition is a much better class of people.
Competition....*pffthaahaaaahaaaaaaaaaaa* good one! ;)
Abandonment of superstition *IS* competition.
Suspending disbelief is competition. Without a belief in something greater
than themselves, some ppl would be totally lost.
And that is who's problem?
If that is the case, they should grow up, and face reality squarely.
You from alt.atheism? Some ppl do have some type of religion yanno. They
Most people have a bodily parasite infection as well, you know.
Urm, yes, I think I did know that. I don't let it bother me anymore. What
does bother me is being cut off in a sentence ;p
Post by Michael Gray
Post by faeseeker
like it that way. I wasn't commenting on my own beliefs here. Nothing of the
kind in fact.
Glad to hear that you are atheist.
But...but...I'm not an atheist! And I think I'll tell Morrigan that you are.
;p
Post by Michael Gray
Post by faeseeker
Growing up, amongst most ppl, doesn't mean giving up your religion.
Oh yes it DOES!
I wasn't doin' nuthin', so don't yell at me !!!
Post by Michael Gray
Growing up entails abandoning belief in Santa Clause, the Tooth Fairy,
and all manner of invented sky pixies, including innumerable gods.
One cannot call themselves 'grown up' until they have abandoned all of
these childishly superstitious ideas.
Oh...*hands on hips* That's just Your idea of a grownup, isn't it? Isn't it?
;p
Post by Michael Gray
Any other view is not logical.
If you have to abandon Santa in order to grow up, you have to abandon
every other invented feel-good deity.
Oh puleeeeze, the Toothfairy and Tinkerbell visited me regularly. As did the
Wicked Witch of the West! Look in my old closet, that'll prove it to you!
Post by Michael Gray
Post by faeseeker
I figure that if Pagans want to be respected, they should respect others of
different types also *shrug*
As well as those who lack mental parasites?
Mental parasites aren't ones that I normally associate with. Vampires and
such. Psychic ones. Cell suckers. Damned ppl don't know they're ass from
their ears. ;)
sarchasm
2007-10-18 08:26:56 UTC
That is just not a pretty image. Heh.
sarchasm
2007-10-18 08:02:34 UTC
Post by Michael Gray
Growing up entails abandoning belief in Santa Clause, the Tooth Fairy,
and all manner of invented sky pixies, including innumerable gods.
Does it also entail abandoning a belief in the concept of, say, money
without a gold standard?
Post by Michael Gray
One cannot call themselves 'grown up' until they have abandoned all of
these childishly superstitious ideas.
Interesting. So for example, a four year old who has abandoned such beliefs
can be considered a grown-up by your line of reasoning?
Post by Michael Gray
Any other view is not logical.
A grown-up four year old who has abandoned such beliefs doesn't appear to be
logical either.
Post by Michael Gray
If you have to abandon Santa in order to grow up, you have to abandon
every other invented feel-good deity.
What about other invented concepts which only exist as mental constructs -
even logical ones?
Mike, your shoe's untied, man.
faeseeker
2007-10-18 08:27:24 UTC
Post by Michael Gray
One cannot call themselves 'grown up' until they have abandoned all of
these childishly superstitious ideas.
Interesting. So for example, a four year old who has abandoned such beliefs
can be considered a grown-up by your line of reasoning?
Oh deer....
Post by Michael Gray
If you have to abandon Santa in order to grow up, you have to abandon
every other invented feel-good deity.
What about other invented concepts which only exist as mental constructs -
even logical ones?
What about love? Or what's love got to do with it? *g
He LOOKED!
sarchasm
2007-10-18 08:47:04 UTC
Post by faeseeker
Post by Michael Gray
One cannot call themselves 'grown up' until they have abandoned all of
these childishly superstitious ideas.
Interesting. So for example, a four year old who has abandoned such beliefs
can be considered a grown-up by your line of reasoning?
Oh deer....
As in the headlights? Let's see what he has to say about his ...logic in
this regard.
Post by faeseeker
Post by sarchasm
Post by Michael Gray
Any other view is not logical.
A grown-up four year old who has abandoned such beliefs doesn't appear
Post by faeseeker
Post by sarchasm
be
logical either.
Post by Michael Gray
If you have to abandon Santa in order to grow up, you have to abandon
every other invented feel-good deity.
What about other invented concepts which only exist as mental constructs -
even logical ones?
What about love? Or what's love got to do with it? *g
That's a good example of a concept that has peripheral physical effects.
Post by faeseeker
Post by sarchasm
Post by Michael Gray
Post by faeseeker
different types also *shrug*
As well as those who lack mental parasites?
Mike, your shoe's untied, man.
He LOOKED!
Not so sure, since he'd be more likely to not believe it was untied -
metaphorically. ;>

brique
2007-10-02 16:49:04 UTC
Post by Michael Gray
Post by faeseeker
Post by n***@snet.net
Post by Sound of Trumpet
Why the Bible Forbids Paganism
Because Christians can't stand competition, especially when that
competition is a much better class of people.
Competition....*pffthaahaaaahaaaaaaaaaaa* good one! ;)
Abandonment of superstition *IS* competition.
Don't be silly, abandoning superstitutions is not competing at all, it is
walking away from the whole nonsense.....
*Anarcissie*
2007-10-02 17:05:40 UTC
Post by brique
Post by Michael Gray
Post by faeseeker
Post by n***@snet.net
Post by Sound of Trumpet
Why the Bible Forbids Paganism
Because Christians can't stand competition, especially when that
competition is a much better class of people.
Competition....*pffthaahaaaahaaaaaaaaaaa* good one! ;)
Abandonment of superstition *IS* competition.
Don't be silly, abandoning superstitutions is not competing at all, it is
walking away from the whole nonsense.....
That's an interesting and useful word -- superstitutions.
The substitution of one superstition for another. I.e.
paganism -> Christianity -> paganism.
brique
2007-10-03 04:16:03 UTC
Post by *Anarcissie*
Post by brique
Post by Michael Gray
Post by faeseeker
Post by n***@snet.net
Post by Sound of Trumpet
Why the Bible Forbids Paganism
Because Christians can't stand competition, especially when that
competition is a much better class of people.
Competition....*pffthaahaaaahaaaaaaaaaaa* good one! ;)
Abandonment of superstition *IS* competition.
Don't be silly, abandoning superstitutions is not competing at all, it is
walking away from the whole nonsense.....
That's an interesting and useful word -- superstitutions.
The substitution of one superstition for another. I.e.
paganism -> Christianity -> paganism.
Oops.... forgot to spellcheck..... but you are right, it does make for an
interesting concept....:-)
Michael Gray
Such as supertitious institutions.
brique
2007-10-03 16:39:37 UTC
Post by Michael Gray
Post by brique
Post by *Anarcissie*
Post by brique
Post by *Anarcissie*
Post by brique
walking away from the whole nonsense.....
That's an interesting and useful word -- superstitutions.
The substitution of one superstition for another. I.e.
paganism -> Christianity -> paganism.
Oops.... forgot to spellcheck..... but you are right, it does make for an
interesting concept....:-)
Such as supertitious institutions.
Well, in a few years time when it is common usage, you can say 'Hey, I saw
it used first!'. and I won't even try and copyright it..... sheeesh.... how
generous.....:-)
faeseeker
2007-10-18 06:48:53 UTC
Post by brique
Post by Michael Gray
Post by faeseeker
Post by n***@snet.net
Post by Sound of Trumpet
Why the Bible Forbids Paganism
Because Christians can't stand competition, especially when that
competition is a much better class of people.
Competition....*pffthaahaaaahaaaaaaaaaaa* good one! ;)
Abandonment of superstition *IS* competition.
Don't be silly, abandoning superstitutions is not competing at all, it is
walking away from the whole nonsense.....
So, I'm not entitled to an opinion here? All I said was 'nonsense'? TYVM.
Come to think of it though, didn't we pretty much say the same 'nonsense'?
;)